Friday, May 20, 2011

Kid Crying


This is a photograph I found by American photographer Diane Arbus. I'm a huge fan of hers, I discovered her work back in high school when my art teacher gave me a book of her work and I've been in love ever since.

She was a photojournalist, which basically means she took pictures of real people. Her choice in subjects were unusual; she went to a nudist colony and photographed nudists in their homes, she took pictures of freaks, people with Down Syndrome, transvestites, teen gangs and women with garish 60's make-up. Her most well-known photograph is of a set of identical twins.

I like her because her photographs are real, they tell it like it is so there's no room for pretentiousness. And while the people she photographs look eccentric and sometimes even ugly, there's an honesty there that makes it beautiful. And I'm a sucker for anything to do with the 60's. But you'll never see these people you'll never see in an episode of Mad Men. Check her out, you won't regret it.



Too sad! I'll draw something more upbeat next week...


No comments:

Post a Comment